The role of the Building Services Design Technician is to assist engineers and other construction professionals in the development of cost effective technical and sustainable design solutions. The design technician will be involved in the production of three-dimensional models, calculations, specifications, reports, and drawings, considering where appropriate, pre-fabrication techniques. Their work typically includes systems such as renewable technologies, heating, ventilation, air conditioning, drainage, lighting, power, controls, and lifts.
As a design technician the apprentice could be working under supervision in a design consultancy, a contractor, or a manufacturing company.
Recommended duration for this apprenticeship is three years but this will depend upon the previous experience of the apprentice and access to opportunities to gain the full range of competence.
The assessment plan for the occupational standard ensures that successful candidates can satisfy the requirements for Engineering Council registration as an Engineering Technician and CIBSE Licentiate membership (EngTech LCIBSE). All applicants can opt for the internationally recognised professional review as part of their CIBSE EPA interview.
- Level 2 Maths and English, and
- Level 3 Diploma in Construction and the Built Environment (Building Services Engineering), or Level 3 Diploma for Building Services Engineering Technicians
- Satisfactory completion of the knowledge, skills and behaviours set out in the assessment plan for the standard
- Evidence of having successfully achieved the underpinning qualifications for the standard
- Employer and training provider confirmation of readiness for End Point Assessment
Level 3 - Building Services Design Technician (ST0063) v1.0
This video will guide you on how to complete your End Point Assessment written report.
You can also download our guidance documentation which covers:
- Gateway eligibility criteria, including the required qualifications
- How to apply
- The technical project brief and written report
- The interview
- The knowledge, skills and behaviours
Ready to apply?
If you have met the readiness criteria to enter the EPA gateway, complete our online EPA gateway application form.
Before applying online:
Please ensure you have to hand the following information and documents (in separate files) as you will be required to provide and submit them online:
- Level 2 Maths and English Qualification Certificates
- Certificates required for the Standard (BTEC/HNC/Degree)
- Photo ID
- Employer Sponsor name and email
- Training Provider contact name and email
- Unique Learner Number (10 digit number - you can obtain this from your Training Provider)
- Organisation Chart (clearly indicating your position)
- Development Action Plan
Once you have clicked the link to apply, you will be prompted to sign in or register for a MyCIBSE user account before proceeding to our online application form. If you are new to CIBSE, please continue to register as a new user.