Skip to main content
Back to Careers in Building Services

How to get into Building Services Engineering

What should you choose to study at school, college or university? 

To get started, you will need

  • GCSE Mathematics (grade 4 or higher)
  • GCSE Science of Physics/Chemistry (grade 4 or higher)

It's also useful to study GCSE Design and Technology.

Once you've got your GCSE's there are three main ways into a Building Services career.

  1. A-levels in Maths and Science leading to a degree course at university in building services engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering or other related degrees.
  2. Find a college that offers T levels in Building Services Engineering or Design, Surveying and Planning. These qualifications include work experience.
  3. Earn while you learn and become an apprentice. Look for an apprenticeship with a company in building services or construction. The government careers website can help with this.

Career route maps

Download the career route maps to see what qualifications can lead to where in engineering

Engineering in England

Find out more

Engineering in Wales

Find out more

Engineering in Scotland

Find out more

Engineering in Northern Ireland

Find out more

Accredited academic programmes

A list of CIBSE accredited academic programmes leading to Engineering Council registration at Engineering Technician (EngTech), Incorporate Engineer (IEng) or Chartered Engineer (CEng) level

Find out more
students 2
Share this page